Aladdin Star Says Sequel is “very unlikely” To Happen

Aladdin
Share:

Mena Massoud, the star of Disney’s Aladdin, has recently shared an update on the potential sequel for the film, and unfortunately, it doesn’t appear promising.

Massoud tweeted, “Very unlikely at this point,” in response to a fan’s inquiry about whether Aladdin 2 was still in the works. This statement seems somewhat contradictory to a previous comment from director Guy Ritchie, who told Collider he would “very much like to” create a sequel.

During the interview, Ritchie expressed his enthusiasm for the project, saying, “I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed that experience. It was a great experience. As you can imagine, that whole Disney thing is such a professional outfit. Just from that perspective, it was so much fun. I would very much like to, we’ll wait and see. We have been kicking some ideas around for some time now, but it’d be great to do, it would be great to go back there.”

A sequel to the 2019 blockbuster Aladdin was first announced in 2020 by The Hollywood Reporter, which mentioned that Ritchie would return to direct. However, there have been no updates on the project since then. In addition to Massoud as the lead character, the film featured Will Smith as the Genie and Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine. Despite mixed reviews, Aladdin grossed over $1 billion at the box office, making a sequel seem likely.

Disney is currently focusing on their upcoming live-action adaptation of The Little Mermaid, scheduled to hit theaters on May 26.

In summary, despite earlier hints of an Aladdin sequel, Mena Massoud has now stated that it is “very unlikely” to happen. While the film’s success and previous statements from director Guy Ritchie suggested a follow-up was possible, the current lack of progress indicates that fans may need to temper their expectations.

Similar Posts

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments